PhD School Venue
University of Brescia, San Faustino Cloister
Via San Faustino 74/B – Brescia
The PhD School will be will be held in the San Faustino Cloister at the University of Brescia.
The beautiful ex-Convent historical building of San Faustino is a complex originally built in the 9th century. Most of the complex dates back from the 16th century and was part of a Benedictine convent. During the Napoleonic times, the religious community was suppressed whilst the convent was confiscated and used as barracks. The military use of the complex continued until the 1980s, after which it became the property of the University of Brescia. The complex is built around three cloisters. The first one, named “della campanella”, was the former convent main entrance. The major cloister, a square with a 35 m side bordered by an open gallery, was built in 1534 by Andrea Moroni, which is especially known because of its important architectural work in Padua. The third one had more practical uses: it was formerly surrounded by stables, workshops and warehouses. The restoration, ended by 1997, made all the buildings suitable for academic use. Some rooms still have the old frescoes, including paintings by Gian Domenico Tiepolo.